Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A learning process

Today I was making myself focus on the positives of this whole process. I mean, it's been 6 weeks, which is rather a lengthy stint. I was feeling a little down and as though the end was never in sight.

I broadly concluded that without a doubt, I have learned lessons and things about myself during this time in a way that I probably wouldn't have otherwise learned.

So, in a roundabout kind of way, I was starting to feel grateful for this process.

I mused that:
- I have learned that I can endure extreme pain and come out the other side in tact.
- I have learned to shoulder bad news ranging from: No sitting for 3 weeks to no work for weeks if not months to no more running to no feeling in my legs / feet to an urgent need for surgery lest I become paralysed...
- I have learned to make the best of this time by reading, blogging, connecting with friends and family and generally setting myself on a positive path.
- I have learned that I have an inner strength that I never knew was there.
- I have learned that chocolate and wine really do make things better.
- I have learned more about the power of the mind-body connection. As such, I have allowed my body to heal itself, while focussing on my mind. In other words, "We are what we think", in the same way that "We are what we eat".
- I have learned that I really am a goal-oriented person (although I think I already knew this one!)
- I have learned to be so grateful for a condition that has a 100% cure.
- I have learned that the support of family and friends is crucial during hard times.
- I have learned to celebrate the smallest of victories.
- I have learned that my body and health are precious. We must do all we can to look after ourselves.
- I have learned to be patient.
- I have learned a lot about backs and discs!
- I have learned to trust medical professionals.
- I have learned to not Google my condition :)
- I have learned to be grateful for all the time I have had on my hands.
- I've even learned a few new yummy recipes :)

As my mind was wandering, I started to get a funny feeling in my left foot.

Upon doing my usual poke and prod test, it was with elation that I discovered that some of the feeling had returned to my toes and the sole of my foot!

Do you know what it feels like to FINALLY get some signs of progress after 6 weeks?

Let me tell you, it feels good.

When Matt returned home from work, I shared the good news with him and sobbed tears of relief and joy.

My body was literally convulsing from the pure relief that finally there was some improvement.

All I could think was 'FINALLY!!!!!'.

A lot has been learned so far and this is only the beginning of the next exciting stage of my life, which will be more amazing than I can ever imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment