Thursday, February 23, 2012

4 weeks on...

This time 4 weeks ago I was holed up in a hospital room, feeling a bit worse for wear! In that time, I have achieved a great deal.

I progressed from walking a few steps, to walking 1.6ks at the park, to walking 5ks. It astounds me and makes me so proud that 2 weeks after the surgery, I was able to walk 5ks! I look forward to continuing to build up my walking strength, all the while, loving the sunshine and gorgeous weather.

I have also made other gains in terms of exercise. I have loved the exercises my physio has given me. I have been waking up at 4.30 / 5am each morning and doing them; then I do them once again later in the day. Each session takes me about 30-40 mins. I'm working on my core and building the 6 pack that will take me into the future! Also today, I cycled for the first time on the bike in the gym!! I rode for 10 mins and did 2.5ks - I felt so good. For the first time in nearly 9 weeks, it didn't matter that my leg / foot are numb. I could push the pedals around and the function in my legs felt close to 100%! Bike riding is my new friend.

I have returned to work. This week, I went back part-time. I have been working about 6 hours each day and leaving at lunch time. It has been an amazing week, filled with a lot of joy. I have loved being back at work with my colleagues and students. There is a sense of empowerment that comes with being strong enough to work again. I have had to take it easy and I'm pooped when I get home, but nothing a little nap can't take care of. I have loved every minute of this week.

I have continued to focus on the power of the mind to heal the body. By focusing on the positives and embracing the changes I have gone through, I feel very grateful for what I have learned about myself and life during this time. When faced with challenges, we are forced to grow.

This weekend, I look forward to setting some goals for the coming months...

2 comments: