Thursday, January 12, 2012

Small victories...

Yesterday I had two (what I call) major successes in terms of my back health. Firstly, I was able to actually step properly with my left foot (heel toe action) as opposed to just plonking it down flat-footed in front of me. I am still so, so slow when I walk, but at least that's progress.

The second victory was that I was able to lift my heels about 1 inch off the ground when I tried to stand on my tip toes. This is major success as up until now, I look at my feet and legs willing them to move, but they refuse to budge. Yesterday, however, we had lift off! Granted, I am still a long, long way from actually standing on my toes but this, my friends, is extreme progress. When the physio asked me to perform this move earlier in the week, only to discover I was 100% unable to, she was extremely concerned. She then proceeded to tell me that the neurosurgeon will freak out when he sees I can't do that as it means that no neural signals are getting through. Well, my nerves are sure proving them wrong - neural signals are now getting through!

Today's physical goal: Take it easy after yesterday's osteopathic treatment. Maybe just a little hanging in the pool. Literally. I hang off the edge of my lilo, letting my legs dangle. This is a form of traction, aimed at creating space between my vertebrae.

Today's mental goal: "If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right" Henry Ford. Well, I think I CAN return to full health quickly and that it what I am choosing to focus on.

2 comments:

  1. Loving your blog Michelle, good luck, you sound very positive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up with your blog Michelle and so sad to hear you have an injury but so proud for you to not 'be' the injury. You are such positive person! As you work on your daily goals I will be thinking of you and praying for further healing.

    Heal well, fast and whole! xx

    ReplyDelete